Part of the practice of Om Mani Padme Hum is saying it as often as possible, but sometimes it’s hard to remember. That’s why many Buddhists use reminders to keep them on top of their chanting. Things like prayer wheels, prayer flags, and bracelets all keep you thinking about the meaning of life- and the importance of finding deeper happiness.
- Om (ohm)- Om is the sound or “vibration” of the universe. This sound is the most important of all; but in the context of chanting and mantras, it is meant destroy attachments to ego and establish generosity.
- Ma (mah)- Removes the attachment to jealousy and establishes ethics.
- Ni (nee)- Removes the attachment to desire and establishes patience.
- Pad (pahd)- Removes the attachment to prejudice and establishesperseverance.
- Me (meh)- Removes the attachment to possessiveness and establishes concentration.
- Hum (hum)- Removes the attachment to hatred and establishes wisdom.